Saturday, April 10, 2010

College Students and Washing!

It is amazing to me that college students will wear clothes until they cannot wear them anymore. College students are the true "green" people-saving water and time-by wearing clothes as much as possible. I had college students in my classes show up in the same clothes they had on yesterday--and that is "cool" with them. One told me he thought it was ok to "turn his underwear inside out" and in his mind they were clean! College students are a different group to show up in washateria's. They always bring their books and computers, and they stuff as much as they can in the washer. They borrow quarters and soap. We older people feel sorry for them and help them. College students expect help. When are they the cleanest? When they have a date or their parents are coming to visit! Love them!!!

2 comments:

  1. Grace,

    I had the pleasure of hearing you tonight on The Story (May 27, '10), and your story of the colored and white signs reminded me of a similar story. After WWII my parents shopped at the local A&P, and it was dark and dingy with very narrow aisles, incandescent light bulbs casting shadows in the corners where you wanted light. You can imagine the family's great excitement when we learned that a brand new (from the ground up) Kwik Chek (SP) was going to open mere blocks from our house. Opening day finally arrived, and the whole "fam damily" went to the grocery store. And we kids didn't have to sit in the car. The aisles were wide (at least two carts wide), the store was well lit, clean and so bright everything sparkled. At the back of the store in the meat aisle at the ends of two shelf units were two water fountains. I saw the signs: white and colored and immediately ran to the colored fountain, and began to drink. No sooner had I taken a swallow than my mother grabbed me by the arm, and jerked me away. "Don't drink from that fountain. It's for colored people." And I said as only a ten or eleven year could, "I thought it would have colored water, Mama." I guess they're right. You gotta be taught. ;o) I really enjoyed your interview tonight. The Story is one of my favorite NPR shows. Keep up your good work.

    Bob Erwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard you on KUSP (NPR). Loved the story of seperating the black and white laundry. Will you blogg it so I can hear (read) it again?
    thank you

    ReplyDelete